Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Who Are You and What Did You Do With Sherry Jo?

Recently, I've received a few comments and questions as to my new found excitement for God.  "Who are you and what did you do with Sherry Jo?" sums it up. This has caused me to be puzzled, concerned, and excited all at the same time.


Those who know me expect me to act and speak a certain way...like SJ.  But there's been an absolute, undeniable change in me that is bursting forth - a hunger for God like never before in me.  To some the questions are to explore what caused the spark in me because they are hungry too.  But others aren't as receptive.  And that disturbs my spirit because I want them to desire to seek God and to have more of Him.  To be totally sold out to Him!


On the other hand, I'm totally stoked about these comments.  I want all of SJ to be removed and replaced with God.  I want people to see God instead of me.  Not for me to receive recognition but for God to receive the glory, honor, and praise for His miracle in my life.  So when you don't see me but see God through me, I'm EXCITED!  


So, SJ, where did it come from?  2 places:  (1) Unconditional love and (2) I finally GET it!


It comes from the undeniable, unconditional love of God!  God could have easily snuffed me out, but instead, He loved me, just me, enough to reach down, touch my heart, and deliver me from the bondage of sin and the pits of Hell.  God's Amazing Grace!


This quote says it all - Dennis Jernigan A Mystery of Majesty:


"and I'll never forget the night God finally set me free from my past and from my sin.  For years I had struggled to free myself, but my attempts were in vain.  It was as if he were waiting for me to settle down and give up striving.  It appears to me that when I finally gave up, he sovereignly stepped in and called me to his side.  All I had to do was accept his proposal...The moment I saw my Father's face of mercy and forgiveness-the moment I realized he would love me no matter what-my life was radically changed and irrevocably changed forever!"


I've always been a strong-willed individual - sometimes for the good and sometimes for the not so good.  But the realization and truth of the matter is that I cannot do it all by myself.  I finally GET it!  I've been raised in church and have a certain amount of God knowledge, but it finally made that 12-inch drop from my head to my heart.  That drop made such a profound and forever life-changing impact on my life.  God has become real to me.  He revealed Himself in such a way to me that I never understood before.  


God has a plan for me.  There's more to this life than just being here.  But it took my getting me out of the way, so God could take control; to decide that my desire for Him and His righteousness is greater than any other desire.  The desire to know more of Him.  And His love burns inside me.  


Jeremiah 29:11-13 MSG:


"I know what I'm doing.  I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.  When you call on me, when you come to pray to me, I'll listen.  When you come looking for me, you'll find me.  Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed."


I'm on a journey with God.  Some days are more exciting than others.  Some days hurt, really hurt, when God has me take a good, long look at myself and deal with sins and shortcomings.  But the reward is great!  


Psalm 139: 23-4 MSG is my heart's cry:


"Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about; See for yourself if there is anything offensive in me, Then guide me on the road to eternal life."




I thank God everyday for His mercy, grace, and unconditional love.  That He saw me in my worst condition and decided that there was something good in me. That He used other willing servants to love me enough and reach out to me. I pray that God continually molds me into His image, uses me in some way to further his Kingdom and reach others for Him, and for His love to continue to flow through me.  Do you love others enough?  What are you willing to do to keep them from going to Hell?


Thank you Jesus!




No comments: