Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Joyful & Passionate

In talking with some friends, I was questioned about my joy and passion for God.  How did you find your joy again?  How are you able to stay so passionate? 

I answered as best as I could in sharing a small portion of what I've gone through and faced in the last years.  I truly hope that I was able to convey a few key points

Here are some key nuggets of truth that I've learned and stand on:

1.  God never leaves me nor forsakes me. He never fails! 
(Hebrews 13:5 NLT:  “I will never fail you.  I will never abandon you.”)  I had failed him.  I had walked away from him, but he never let me down.

2.  I had to take action; I had to make a choice.  I couldn't just expect to be rescued without making an effort on my part.  God was there all the time, but I was running away from God creating a greater distance between him and me.  I had to stop, humble myself, turn to God, and repent of my shortcomings.  God isn't going to force himself on us.  I had to turn to my 1st love again.   (2 Chronicles 7:14 NLT:  "If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.")

3.  I fell in love with God again.  Oh sure, I said that I loved God, but when I truly humbled myself before him, let his love completely wash over me, and his healing process in my heart and emotions began, I learned that my skewed view of God was wrong.  He revealed himself in a totally new way to me.  He became my loving Father.  
  
4.  Looking to anywhere or anyone besides Him for my every need only leads to disappointment. Turning to things or people didn't fix my problems.  Yes, God used a friend to help reach me.  I'm thankful that I have someone who supports me and whom I can totally trust, but ultimately, I had to put God at the center of my world and turn to Him for all my needs, wants, desires, hopes, dreams, etc.

5.  God is my shelter and I trust him.  (Psalm 91:1-2 NLT:  "Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.)

6.  I am free!  (Psalm 119:45 NLT:  "I will walk in freedom, for I have devoted myself to your commandments.") (John 8:32 NLT:  "And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.")  God broke the bondage of sin and continues to demolish strongholds in my life (a future blog subject).  I know where I was headed and where I am headed now.  God is continuing to undo the mess I created.  He is replacing all the dark with his light and love.  He is continuing to heal me.  He is so loving.  

7.  I am wearing the armor of God.  I am learning God’s truth, His Word and how to apply it to my life.  (Ephesians 5:10-18 NLT"  "A final word:  Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil.  For we are not fighting against flesh and blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.  Put on every piece of God's armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil.  Then after the battle you will be standing firm.  Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God's righteousness.  For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.  In addition, to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.  Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.  Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion.  Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.")

8.  I am learning the importance and power of prayer.  Through prayer, I communicate with my friend, God, just as Moses and God did (Exodus 33:11 NLT:  "The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend")Through prayer, I am able to praise him.  Through prayer, I am able to lay my burdens at his feet. (Matthew 11:28-30 NLT:  "Then Jesus said, 'Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you.  Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light'")  Through prayer, I am able to speak his truth into my life.  Through prayer, I am able to hear him and learn from him.  We are only as strong as how often we pray, how we pray, and what we pray.

9.  God loves me.  How can I not have joy and passion for my Savior who loves me for me?  He loved me enough to reach to me.  He loves me enough to dream about me and sing songs about me? (Zephaniah 3:17 NLT:  "For the Lord your God is living among you.  He is a mighty savior.  He will take delight in you with gladness.  With his love, he will calm all your fears.  He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.")  


Lord, help me to always bask in your love and joy.  Help me to keep the the love and fire for you burning deep within me.  Restore your joy to your people.  Restore the passion within their souls.  Revive us Lord!

No comments: