Sunday, July 24, 2011

House Of Prayer

Matthew 21:13 NLT:     "My Temple will be called a house of prayer..."


While reading this morning, I read this scripture, and in God's gentle loudness, he spoke to me about it.  I know in this scripture he was talking about his temple (building), but another thought came to mind...We are not just his temple collectively as a church, but individually we are his temple.  (I Corinthians 3:16 NKV:  "Do you not know that your are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?")


If we are not praying as individuals in our personal lives, how can we pray collectively as a church?  And how effective of a Christian and church will we be to reach others?  We are only as strong as how we pray and how often we pray.


Matthew chapter 6 gives us the prime example of how to pray, The Lord's Prayer.  But prior to his giving that example to us, he stated 3 times (verses 5, 6, & 7), "when you pray."  Not that praying was a suggestion, but WHEN you pray, stating that it is something that we are to do.  Jesus, himself, prayed while here on earth.  What makes us think we're any better than he?


We should always pray.  (I Thessalonians 5:17 NLT:  "Never stop praying")  Now that doesn't mean that we don't have other responsibilities and are on our physical knees 24/7, but we are also to keep our hearts and minds in line with God and keep the communication open to him at all times.    


God, help me to always take time to pray, to just magnify you, to worship you, to lay my burdens at your feet, and to lift others to you.  Teach me to pray your will.  Teach me your wisdom.  Help us to know the importance of spending time with you and seeking you in all things.  I want to be an effective servant for you.  Thank you, Lord.  I love you!