Sunday, September 28, 2008

Party in Heaven




Well, I've had to finally come to a point in my life for which I've tried to prepare myself. But somehow, you can never really prepare yourself for losing a loved one.

My grandfather, Pa, passed away Saturday night around 20:30. His health had deteriorated in the last few months, but he was still getting around every day looking around the farm to make sure everything was just so-so. Wednesday morning he fell out of bed and broke some ribs...plus we learned that he had pneumonia in his right lung. It was just too much for his frail body to handle.

I received the call Saturday morning about his being rushed to the hospital because he was in so much pain. I rushed there to see this strong icon in my life reduced to a frail little man who couldn't speak. He knew who we all were and tried to communicate to us. All he could do was nod his head or shake our hands with affirmation. All day I watched the horror, as his last few hours were so painful...just to breathe, hurting from broken ribs, tired from living such a long life.

As I walked out of the room that evening to catch a breath of fresh air, I grabbed his soft, but leathered hand from all the years of work and looked him in the eye. I said, "Pa, I love you." He looked me in the eye and said "yeah." I knew then that would probably be the last time to communicate our love to each other here on earth.

I prayed that God would ease his pain and take him home to be with Him. Pa had lived such a wonderful life and being selfish at that point would not have been in his best interest. Before he passed, he looked around the room at those who were with him and looked toward Heaven and smiled...as if to say..."Don't you see it...It's beautiful". At that moment, peace came over him and he rested. Drawing his last few breaths with all of us around him, he peacefully left this world to be with Jesus.

Now as I sit here saddened and crying but relieved, I can only imagine the party that he's having with his Lord and Savior. We were planning a 100th party for him in November, but nothing we could have given him would ever compare to the party he's having right now. I can't wait to party with him!

I love you Pa. Thank you for always having that sparkle in your eye when you saw me. Your gentle loving hands to hold me and pat me as you said "I love you Sugie." I will see you soon. Enjoy the party!

No comments: